The Blue Mile, Matthias Haker
eva_kosmas_flores via Instagram
These four horses initially adorned the Hippodrome of Constantinople. During the Fourth Crusade they were taken to Venice by Doge Enrico Dandolo (1254). Petrarch mentions admiring them.
Then comes Napoleon (1797) who removes them and takes them to Paris, but not for long. In 1815 they were returned to Venice by Captain Dumaresq.
They were placed on St. Mark’s, but due to weather conditions originals were moved inside, and replicas were made for the outside.
How’s that for a turbulent history?